.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Blog Brothers

Two Black-Irish-American brothers from the mythical city of Albany, New York ponder their 20th century adventures from either side of the Pacific Ocean; Bob in Kyoto, Japan and Mick in Santa Barbara, California.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Sisterness

Ah yes, the birth of Sue. We now had a little sister to think of. That changed it all to the much stronger triangle and gave us male demons the necessary counterweight. When Sue was about to be born I was shipped off unknowing to Aunt Madeleine’s house on the Hudson River just above Schodack, where I had a great time with cousins Jackie and Teddy and their counrty friends for what seemed like an unusually long time (it was during summer vacation, when normally I’d just visit them for weekends); then one morning we were all suddenly driving back upriver when I asked Madeleine why I had to go home and she said: “You have a baby sister now!” and my entire universe changed in some subtle way I can still recall but have never fathomed: a new life had entered the world who was related to me, and who was my SISTER. And although Sue (a genuine baby boomer) was 7 years younger than I and so never became an indictable member of our conspiracy, what a difference the fact of her has made, all down the years since that day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home