.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Blog Brothers

Two Black-Irish-American brothers from the mythical city of Albany, New York ponder their 20th century adventures from either side of the Pacific Ocean; Bob in Kyoto, Japan and Mick in Santa Barbara, California.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

trust your instinct, kid...

"'Imagine a Bridge in the Distance" was one of the most evocative, scene-setting, best titles ever and went perfectly with that first heart-stopping photo!! Carried you right headlong into the tale!! How come you changed it? How come you took that way from me and everybody? Huh? Huh? Blue Steel Rollin could serve beautifully for any of your numerous pending RR-related memoirs, but there's only one bridge with that beauty you just built... you gotta trust your instinct, kid..."

That was taken from an email I received from Bob this morning after he discovered my late-night title change in the preceding 2-part series. Out of respect for my older brother and his more advanced literary sensibilities, I have restored the original title, even though this necessitates the mothballing of "Blue Steel Rollin''", a title which would have done the late Woody Guthrie proud. He's right; the bridge is the thing. There are some tales itching to be told which might live up to the promise of that secondary, slightly more seductive title, but until that inspiration comes along, it's being shunted off to the railroad yards. Much obliged, Bob.

In the process of making that change, however, a conflict developed in the republishing which caused the loss of several of our readers' comments, and to the authors, I apologize. If there is some way to restore them, I welcome it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ted said...

Mick - Hands down, your part I and Part II were the best thing I have read on the web. Scared the hell out of me as I got a few phobias and walking those marble/slate slabs and jumbing from one to the other put me right there. My phobia is height related and always makes me want to jump off when I get in those situations. [Might be a posting or two some time.]I was right there with you when the train went over. Inspirit I was the Ted with you.

Thanks for making me a "Rememberers"
Ted

4:23 AM  
Blogger Robert Brady said...

That was only my slightly chardonnayed opinion, Mick. I like "Blue Steel Rollin'" too, but "Imagine a Bridge in the Distance" got to me first.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Mick Brady said...

Thanks, Ted. I really appreciate the great review. Sorry I got those phobias a-ragin'; hope it was worth the ride.

Bob, your heartfelt, though chardonnayed, opinion is always welcome.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home