.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Blog Brothers

Two Black-Irish-American brothers from the mythical city of Albany, New York ponder their 20th century adventures from either side of the Pacific Ocean; Bob in Kyoto, Japan and Mick in Santa Barbara, California.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Life as Part of a Bike

Yes, Mick, it must have been the artist in you that inspired you at that young age to be the first of us to hotrod your bike, take the fenders off, chop and channel and the like, a look that would one day (as with the Frisbee) be thanklessly co-opted and called the "mountain bike." Though not too young to be in love, we were much too young to patent. Anyway, for a while you had the fastest bike in that part of the east, as the drag races down Mapleridge Avenue quickly verified (Who was that fast rider?), and as commemorated by your virtual bronze plaque in the 505 Delaware Avenue Bikers' Hall of Fame (second floor, first bedroom on the left).

As for the bike in my own life, it just so happens that in my PureLandMountain post this morning I told of seguing into memories of my trusty scarlet Columbia with ivory pinstriping and then checked in here to find you reminiscing about your bikeā€¦ (Are we really twins, and you just gestated an extra year and a half ?)

I soon stripped my own bike down to the elementals too, always seeking to maintain that rolling edge; then one day when bike-visiting our cousin Johnny Robinson, Pat Villani and I stopped on the way home at a relative of his who ran an auto reupholstering shop; in about ten minutes he had my ragged bike seat glowing in miraculously really genuine-looking leopardskin, and I didn't sit down on my bike for days to show it off, it was like Sheena herself riding double with me. More tales there too, but please continue...

4 Comments:

Blogger Mick Brady said...

Amazing, but not surprising. I may have been a delinquent twin, or more likely, I spent all nine months of gestation reading your writings on the wall of the womb.

We were indeed the first of the mountain bikers. Everyone else wanted as many gadgets as could be found tacked onto their chariots. We knew better.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Ted said...

Ahhh---Columbia bikes. I live in the town, Westfield MA where Columbia Bikes were made. The mill was called "The Pope". It was a major player in the cities early history. I was really excited when we 1st moved here because a "Columbia" played a major part in my youth. It was not to be because the factory went belly up because of foreign competition and the employees bought out The Pope. Now they make school furniture instead of Bikes

1:43 PM  
Blogger Robert Brady said...

How we have descended from our former majesty...

7:12 PM  
Blogger Ted said...

I apologize as I was wrong. Columbia is still making some bikes. I just posted my apology and the story on my Blog at http://musingsofanoldman.blogspot.com/
Please take a look.Thank you Ted.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home